Saturday, April 29, 2017

Mini Reviews ~ April 2017

Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination to do a full review for a title. This will typically apply to books that are short stories, part of a mini-series, some novellas, etc. Instead of abandoning these reviews, I will be giving mini reviews. Check them out!


Title: Sold to the Berserkers
Author: Lee Savino
Genre/Age: Paranormal/Erotica
Series: Berserker Saga (Book One)
Publisher: Silverwood Press
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
Review: This is the first part of what appears to be a continuous series featuring the same characters. Each book is novella-length from what I can tell. It is paranormal themed with shifter-type creatures. A woman, who was attacked as a child and left unable to speak, is sold to a pair of mysterious beastly men with highly erotic preferences. 

I wouldn't necessarily categorize this as a romance, however. It's a lot more erotica than anything else. There isn't enough story here, yet, for any of the characters to really form a romantic bond. It could definitely happen in future books but right now it's mostly a scared young woman being groomed by her captors. 

However, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it for what it was. There was a certain level of suspense throughout the entire story and a lot of erotic moments. This particular novella was repetitive, at times, so I hope to see more variety in the storyline in future installments. 




Title: The Spy Makes Three
Author: Remi Bond
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: None
Publisher: Octave Publishing
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
Review: This is an erotica book of the menage variety. A man and woman with relationship history come together for a night of naughty fun and run into a man from their past, who they both have desired. Trouble is, this man is on the run from some scary guys. Playtime will have to wait until the threat is over.

I breezed through this novella which was full of action and suspense. I actually think that the heavy spy theme took away from the erotica, at times, but that's just me. I prefer my romance to be the center of the action. There was an emotional angle here, as well, since the characters all had history with each other. 

The love scenes were pretty good but I do wish there had been more of them. The moment the threesome begin to interact, we're thrust into the future and everything starts to wrap up. But the ending is nice, though. I would read more from this author.



Title: Woman of the House
Author: Abby Angel
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: None
Publisher: Naughty Angel Publishing
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺
LinksGoodreads
ReviewThis book needs to be immediately unpublished until proper editing can be performed. I read/review all sorts of books, including ARC/galley copies, and even the majority of books that have come to me in the earlier stages of the publishing process haven't had this many blunders.

It doesn't matter how great the characters are, how spicy the sex is, or how captivating the storyline. If the characters are being called the wrong names throughout the entire book, it is unacceptable for a published title. If I have to stop and go back to figure out whose POV I'm supposed to be reading from so I can decipher just whose name the author meant to use, I cannot enjoy the book. It completely ruins the story for me. And who in the world is Derek? Another name fumble who isn't even a character in the book!

As for the rest of it, it's hard to rate this one. The first few chapters made me roll my eyes so many times. I know it's fiction and I'm fine with completely unrealistic storylines. But do the characters have to brag on themselves for an entire chapter before doing or saying anything? Is this a requirement? I am interested in other titles by this author but I'm now afraid to read them. 

I hope this book gets the attention it deserves or is taken off the market until it can because the premise is actually interesting and the sex is extremely entertaining. It's a shame that this book was rushed to publish and the editing (or lack thereof) totally put a damper on my reading experience.



Title: Lady and the Space Tramp
Author: J.M. Page
Genre/Age: Sci Fi Romance/Adult
Series: Star-crossed Tales (Book Five)
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: An interstellar criminal meets his match in an earthling woman.

I've been in the mood for alien romances, lately. So when I saw this one on the KU Challenge for April, I immediately sent it to my Kindle. This is a novella about a dating agency's attempt to mate a woman from earth and an alien fugitive. It's a fast-paced adventure with space traveling, betrayal, and a couple who are complete opposites yet perfect for one another.

This is a clean read and I must say that I'm not used to reading a sci-fi romance without at least one really steamy scene of alien sex. There were some pretty spicy kisses, though. So it wasn't entirely without an aspect of intimacy. I'm intrigued enough by this novella to give another one a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment